Ferien-Messe, which takes place annually in Vienna, is attended by around 800 exhibitors representing more than 70 countries. The expo attracts almost 150,000 visitors over the four days.
This was the first time Budapest Airport had exhibited at Ferien-Messe and the event was a resounding success for the Hungarian airport, which will be officially opening SkyCourt – a brand new, centrally located building, linking the existing terminals 2a and 2b – in March 2011. SkyCourt will double the commercial area of the terminals and provide a wide range of retail outlets, international brands and greatly improved dining options for travellers. The contemporary glass structure will offer an impressive view of the Airport’s apron and provide passengers with a truly unique travel experience.
The Budapest Airport team took a unique 150 sqm SkyCourt-shaped exhibition stand to Vienna, enabling visitors to see for themselves the developments taking place at the Airport. Visitors were able to book discount tickets at the stand, courtesy of the Airport’s airline partners and Hungarian Tourism Rt were also represented at the show, promoting spa and wellbeing tourism. The Hungarian theme continued with traditional dance music being played while Hungarian folk dancers wowed the crowds.
Andrea Trencsén, Budapest Airport’s Head of Marketing and Innovation said: “Austria is an important market for us and this was the ideal opportunity to showcase our airlines and expanding route network to the Austrian consumer. Budapest Airport has just welcomed its first scheduled carrier from the Middle East – Qatar Airways is now operating flights from Doha – and we are very excited about the arrival of American Airlines’ flights between Budapest and New York, which will be inaugurated on April 6th.
“Currently 20 percent of passengers travelling through Budapest Airport are from neighbouring countries – we expect this figure to increase with the anticipated announcements of more long-haul routes out of Budapest in the near future.”
About Budapest Airport
In 2010 Budapest Airport served almost 8.2 million passengers through scheduled, charter and general aviation services.
Budapest Airport Zrt. owns and operates Ferihegy airport. This is a public private partnership with the Hungarian State holding 25% and the remaining 75 percent sitting in the hands of the German company HOCHTIEF AirPort, one of the world’s biggest independent airport managers and a further four financial investors: Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec, Montreal; GIC Special Investments, Singapore; and KfW IPEX-Bank, Frankfurt. In July 2008, Aero Investment S.á.r.l. became a new shareholder.
Through its BUD Future project Budapest Airport aims to be the aviation hub of the CEE region. Leading projects include:
SkyCourt - a new centrally located building which, when open in March 2011, will link the existing terminals 2a and 2b. SkyCourt will double the commercial area of the terminals and provide a wide range of retail outlets, international brands and an improved food and beverage offering. The contemporary glass structure will also offer an impressive view of the apron and aims to provide passengers with a unique travel experience.
Cargo City – New on-airport cargo facilities will feature 120,000 sqm of cargo and logistics terminals designed for airlines, handlers and integrators.
Budapest Airport incorporates two terminals. Terminal 1 is a dedicated low cost carrier terminal and Terminal 2 services the traditional carriers. The airport is also the base for Malev, Hungary’s national airline and part of the One World alliance and is home to a further 33 airlines, serving over 90 destinations which represents 40 countries world wide.
For further information:
Alison Chambers/Jane Stanbury/Helen Stevens
T +44 1962 736600